Office of the City Clerk Office of the City Clerk
Online Forms Submit Your Applicaiton Here
Flower Selection
Democracy Starts With You. Register to Vote by October 12
Amendments to Marriage Records

Requirements for an Amendment
Amendment Application Procedure


  • If your Marriage Ceremony is performed in our offices, your Certificate of Marriage Registration can be corrected free of charge within 24 hours after receipt of your Certificate of Marriage Registration.
  • If your Marriage Ceremony is performed elsewhere, your Certificate of Marriage Registration can be corrected free of charge within two weeks of the date that you receive the Certificate of Marriage Registration in the mail.
  • After the 24 hour/two week period has passed, certain errors on a Certificate of Marriage Registration can be fixed by filing an Amendment Application.


  • The fee for an Amendment is $10 by credit card or money order payable to the City Clerk.

Requirements for an Amendment

  • The law permits amendments to be made to a Certificate of Marriage Registration where the error was not the result of any intended fraud, deception or attempt to avoid the effect of any valid law, regulation or statute. Either spouse must be able to provide documentary proof satisfactory to the City Clerk to support correcting the error.
  • Amendments cannot be made to change your new surname.
  • If you wish to make any change in the surname on your Certificate of Marriage Registration, you and your spouse must remarry.
  • If you remarry your spouse to make a change in your surname, you must state your desired surname on the new Marriage License Application.
  • If you choose to remarry for this purpose you will have to reapply for a Marriage License and a Marriage Ceremony and pay the applicable fees. ($35 for the Marriage License and $25 for the Marriage Ceremony, by credit card or money order payable to the City Clerk.) Since you were previously married the 24 hour waiting period does not apply and you can marry immediately after receiving your Marriage License.

Amendment Application Procedure

  • Amendment Applications may be submitted online via City Clerk Online and completed at our Manhattan office, or filed in person at our Manhattan office located at:

    141 Worth Street
    New York, NY 10013

    or by mail to the same address.
    Download the Amendment Application (in PDF)
  • Please bring or mail the completed and notarized form with the original Certificate of Marriage Registration if available and the original document you are using to verify the correct information.
    • For example, if you wish to correct an error in your date of birth, you would need to bring an original Birth Certificate.
  • You will also need to bring proper identification, or include a photocopy of your proper identification if you apply by mail.
  • If you are applying by mail, do not send an original document (except the Certificate of Marriage Registration). Instead, send a photocopy of the original document certified as a true copy of the original by a notary public.
  • Our mailing address for an Amendment Application is:

    Office of the City Clerk
    141 Worth Street
    New York, N.Y. 10013
> Online Forms
> Office Hours and Locations
> Legal Holidays
> NYCityMap
> City Council
> NYS Joint Commission on Public Ethics
> NYC CityStore